So I recently shaved my head.

The responses have been so great that I need to record them.
The night before we needed to cut my son's hair. It's summer so we wanted to shave it. My husband did it and Laish refused to come out of the bathroom because Mommy would see him. I sat there by the door and talked with him, trying to convince him that I love him with or without hair. He finally let me come in IF I didn't look at him. Deal. We joked that maybe Mommy would shave her hair so he wouldn't feel so bad.
Apparently my subconscious was working in my sleep and I woke up unsettled. I needed a change. I was bored. Let me tell you, it was just like the movies. I started cutting with a scissors. Snip Snip. It was exhilarating. Then came the clippers. If only I had video taped it. All of a sudden I realized what i did. Oops. Oh well. I finally did it. I had always wondered what men were feeling when they rubbed their head in frustration or took 5 minute showers. It was great.
So the next morning (Sunday morning, mind you). Laish woke up and looked at me kind of funny. He said, "Mommy, did you get your hair cut?" I said, "Yup." And we were playing. I love kids. My hair didn't matter to him. I was still Mommy. Emma, on the other hand, kept saying that Mommy didn't look like Mommy anymore. My husband, Aaron? Yah, that wasn't as fun. I snuggled up close to him still in bed and told him that I cut my hair. He opened his eyes, then rolled his eyes. He said he felt sick. What was my statement. I felt terrible. Statement? I didn't have one. What should it be? Quick, think because church was only 1 hour away.....
Most women have told me they've always wanted to do that. They say I have a lovely shaped head and most people couldn't get away with it. Never thought of that. What if my head WAS shaped weird? Then what would they say? Most men just laughed and said they didn't recognize me and probably secretly thanked God their wives' weren't that crazy. For those that are concerned, Aaron is quite okay with my skinhead. It took him a good day to listen to comments and then his stomach settled down.
The technician at Wal-Greens is convinced I have cancer. I never told her this but somehow with the meds I take and how I looked she continues toask me how I am & tell me I look "fine". Her girlfriends' hair didn't grow out on the top and that I'm very lucky. She continues to ask me how I'm feeling - meaning, how do you feel with cancer? I'm past the point of telling her the truth. She is an ex-hair stylist so she advises me on what products to use and shows me how to trim up my hair so it looks the nicest. One thing I've learned from all this - NEVER ASSUME. Don't assume I have cancer - just ask me. When people avoid talking to me about such a dramatic change, I feel weird. I would much rather people ask, "Why did you shave your head? That's weird." I like honesty. I like being confronted. I like being weird at 33.
So what's next? Hmmm, maybe more tattoos........

The responses have been so great that I need to record them.
The night before we needed to cut my son's hair. It's summer so we wanted to shave it. My husband did it and Laish refused to come out of the bathroom because Mommy would see him. I sat there by the door and talked with him, trying to convince him that I love him with or without hair. He finally let me come in IF I didn't look at him. Deal. We joked that maybe Mommy would shave her hair so he wouldn't feel so bad.
Apparently my subconscious was working in my sleep and I woke up unsettled. I needed a change. I was bored. Let me tell you, it was just like the movies. I started cutting with a scissors. Snip Snip. It was exhilarating. Then came the clippers. If only I had video taped it. All of a sudden I realized what i did. Oops. Oh well. I finally did it. I had always wondered what men were feeling when they rubbed their head in frustration or took 5 minute showers. It was great.
So the next morning (Sunday morning, mind you). Laish woke up and looked at me kind of funny. He said, "Mommy, did you get your hair cut?" I said, "Yup." And we were playing. I love kids. My hair didn't matter to him. I was still Mommy. Emma, on the other hand, kept saying that Mommy didn't look like Mommy anymore. My husband, Aaron? Yah, that wasn't as fun. I snuggled up close to him still in bed and told him that I cut my hair. He opened his eyes, then rolled his eyes. He said he felt sick. What was my statement. I felt terrible. Statement? I didn't have one. What should it be? Quick, think because church was only 1 hour away.....
Most women have told me they've always wanted to do that. They say I have a lovely shaped head and most people couldn't get away with it. Never thought of that. What if my head WAS shaped weird? Then what would they say? Most men just laughed and said they didn't recognize me and probably secretly thanked God their wives' weren't that crazy. For those that are concerned, Aaron is quite okay with my skinhead. It took him a good day to listen to comments and then his stomach settled down.
The technician at Wal-Greens is convinced I have cancer. I never told her this but somehow with the meds I take and how I looked she continues toask me how I am & tell me I look "fine". Her girlfriends' hair didn't grow out on the top and that I'm very lucky. She continues to ask me how I'm feeling - meaning, how do you feel with cancer? I'm past the point of telling her the truth. She is an ex-hair stylist so she advises me on what products to use and shows me how to trim up my hair so it looks the nicest. One thing I've learned from all this - NEVER ASSUME. Don't assume I have cancer - just ask me. When people avoid talking to me about such a dramatic change, I feel weird. I would much rather people ask, "Why did you shave your head? That's weird." I like honesty. I like being confronted. I like being weird at 33.
So what's next? Hmmm, maybe more tattoos........
June, you write well. You make me laugh out loud. Maybe you should spend less time shaving your head and more time writing funny stuff.
ReplyDeletemaybe you should save even more time and just write on your head, or tatoo your head, but I heard that's painful
ReplyDeleteK