Friday, July 23, 2010

Triathalon 2010

Yes, I know, she takes after me. NOT! I hate running or anything remotely close to that. But this young lady was totally thrilled when I suggested she do her first Triathalon. The Goshen Parks Dept. puts this on each year for kids and teens. It was a great turn out. This year her cousin Kara & Liam participated, her other friend Liam, and a handful of my friends' kids. Unfortunately you have to be 5 to participate so Laish will have to wait. He cried the entire event bc he wanted to.

So Aaron and I were a bit stressed with all the heat and crying and trying to transition Emma. We tried to stay calm though for how competitive we both are. There were some Dads that were pretty intense and it was kind of frustrating to watch. Oh well. Here is Liam (friend), Kara and Emma ready for the swim which they did first. One length of the pool. Aaron said she did awesome!

Then they biked. Emma thought this was the easiest part. Her and Kara are here in this picture just getting on bikes and going. They had to bike a little over 1 mile.

And last but not least, the running. They ran a 1/2 mile. Parents could run with them for the first part. I was kind enough to let Aaron do that so I could tend to Laish (harhar). At the end of the run, parents had to veer off and let their kids finish alone. Emma decided to sprint and beat the girl in front of her. Ah, so nice to see the Shetler/Detwiler spirit in her. Of course, I didn't see any of that bc Laish was screaming about his feet getting in the mud and I was sweating bullets trying to carry him in the Indiana heat across some crappy mud at the time. This is Kara finishing out her time.

And each of them got a medal for finishing. At the end of the race they had trophies for the top 3 in each age and category. My nephew Liam got a trophy for being 2nd! I think Emma's time got her 5th place but as always, we are so proud of her! Here's Emma with her friend Liam showing off their medals!

5 comments:

  1. great story. It's cool they do this kind of thing. Maybe Goshen isn't so bad. Emma is sporty. I bet she will be a short stop!!!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe how much that first photo looks like a miniature Renita! I almost feel like I am looking at a picture from 20-some years ago.

    I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why didn't you mention my athletic ability? I think she takes after me. I played a sport once.
    Aunt Bec

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beck, just stick to piano.
    Kar, Emma and Laish are gonna kick Alvin's butt some day for you taking my spot at short stop.

    Karen, we will miss you at the reunion. (I really don't see the resemblance, but they say it's there).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nista - you DID make it on my blog post. You were part of that group of friends that I got to go out to eat with Friday. Remember?? :)

    ReplyDelete