
10 years. One decade. Sounds so long to be married to someone and yet knowing full well, we have so many more years to come (Lord willing).
Aaron Blaine Detwiler.
I must admit, I struggled giving up the last name Shetler. Both names so similar with "..et.." and the "..er" in them. Yet such a different identity I felt in giving that name up. In fact, I didn't. When I was in sales at Roadway Express, for many years I had my business cards read "J. Renita Shetler-Detwiler." It was such a mouthful but you know how stubborn I can be about things. It was MY name. Why shouldn't he take my name instead?
Well, today I'm very proud of being married to a Detwiler, specifically, this Detwiler. And it's more than taking on his last name now. It's so cliche but it's the skill and challenge of bringing these 2 totally different people as one in the Lord. We have some huge posters that we made with stencils in our bedroom - just taped randomly all over. One that Aaron made says "Love Her Madly" from way back in the 70's when the Doors sang this song. I can't tell you what that means to me to see that every day. To know he put it there to see every day to remind him to love me madly no matter if I'm sweet as a peach or bitchy as can be.
I cannot tell a lie. Things haven't been marital bliss since we said "I do" as some so often say. We both thought love would solve everything. Well, it didn't. Only by the grace of God are we still together today AND loving each other. I think I've realized after 10 years that it's about dying to our "self" day after day for each other. Berta once told me that someone said, "Spoil your spouse, not your kids." Okay, it's not the Bible but still, what a great concept.
So my Ode to Aaron - here are just a few things that made me fall in love with you, and continue to love you after 10 years.
1. You listen to me when I cry....and cry....and cry
2. You are my gandala amongst the waves
3. You clean the house & wash the dishes & do the laundry &....
4. You are neat & tidy - you don't often meet a neat male
5. You drive a BMW with windows rolled down and music rockin'
6. You accomplished grad school with 2 toddlers and a nagging wife
7. Your gpa was 3.981 (you are very smart)
8. I love my in-law's
9. You let me mow the lawn how I want to
10. You have opened my eyes to different music besides Country & Christian
9. You let me mow the lawn how I want to
10. You have opened my eyes to different music besides Country & Christian
11. You play with our kids and they love you
12. Your energy and spunk
13. Your humor!!! (I'm from Fun Country, remember?)
14. You love the Lord and I see that in your life
15. Your grace and forgiveness to me
16. You love the mountains and nature.
17. You love coffee.
18. I love sitting for hours and watching baseball with you & you love the Cubs
19. You love playing poker with my brothers into the wee hours of the night
20. You let me name our son a Hebrew name (Laish) and his middle name after my Grandpa Shetler (Levi)
I love you, Baby!
i like him too. seriously, i think my calendar got covered up and i totally forgot. happy anniversary. i'm glad you're in our family. i like treating you like a sister.
ReplyDeleteIt's very Hebrew, you know, very Biblical, to bless your spouse. Keep on doing it. God is smiling (and so are we). Happy 10th Anniversary!!
ReplyDeleteWe lover you!
Mom & Dad D.
Nice job June, this is something we should all do once a year to remind us of all the things we love about our men. Ohh...and they should do it for us too
ReplyDelete